When my then best friend and now my partner for life
suggested we go to Chaul to escape a rather bad work week in Mumbai, I was not exactly
excited to say the least. It was a terrible time at office and this was a long weekend
and I could certainly do away with going someplace new and full of nature and even though I'm pretty well versed with Maharashtra's terrain, had never heard of this place.
The Gateway has always fascinated me as if it teleports me
to the era where traders from the medieval times used to come to port Bombay
for trading and also to enter Indian economic capital. When I came to know that
to reach Chaul, we had to take an hour of ferry ride and then some driving
across small and narrow roads of small towns and vast patches of green fields,
I was looking forward to the much needed break.
We started at about 9 in the morning from Mumbai’s Gateway of India
where there was a huge queue to get into the ferry. Luckily we had the tickets
already for the AC room which was small, compact yet comfortable as it was very
hot and humid in April. As soon as the ferry started I almost zoned out as if
my mind found peace at last from the maddening, rushing life and I woke up with
a thud when my partner told me the ferry is about to arrive at Mandwa port (Yea
the same Mandwa which is the plot for the very famous AB movie called
Agnipath). I looked around and what was in front of me was a small port harbor with two bridges, one that was old and ruined completely and the new bridge that took us out to
the main road where a number of buses and autos were waiting to take us to our
destination. We decided to take a local auto ride till our hotel, The Fern Silvanus
in Chaul and it took us almost an hour to reach there as we crossed bustling
small towns, lotus ponds, green paddy fields and small hills all along the
beautiful ride.
The Fern Silvanus is a nice, little cottage style premise which
is located on the top of a secluded hill, adorned with a small pool, lush green
shrubs and trees all over, accessible via a small village road, surrounded by
houses on both the sides and a small patch of dense forest at the base of the
hill. As I stepped out I knew this place had a calming effect on us
immediately.
‘Why Chaul?’ I asked. He replied wait till we go out in the
evening. Since it was only noon and very hot outside, I started walking in the
lawns of the property, looking at the blooming spring flowers and sprawling greenery and the beauty of
it all.
In the evening at 5 PM we took a brisk hike down the trail
of forest laden hill, blanketed by tall trees on both ends, protecting us from
heat and Sun alike, towards the main road to catch another auto for Paradise
beach, a local beach, mainly patronized by the residents so we thought it would
be less crowded. While on our way, I saw a lot of ruins and that’s when my
interest in the place grew manifolds. Paradise beach was true to its name. The
black-grey sands, a typical of the Western Ghats on the Konkan belt welcomed us
with white waves and froth and to our delight very few people were there, strung far away
from each other and the beach had a helm line of tall coconut and palm trees all along its periphery. It was a very
peaceful and romantic evening in nature after months. As we were sipping on the fresh coconut water,
our vendor told us about the rich cultural history of the place.
Chaul was a part of the Portuguese province in the 14th
century, which is now in shambles. In many parts of the nearby villages we
could see that influence of Portuguese architecture and they have an old fort
where the battle of Chaul was fought where Gujarat rulers vanquished the
Portuguese in 1508.
Next morning we started for the very famous and highly
recommended Dutta Mandir at 7 AM, before the Sun came up and it got hot. The
temple is located on the top of a steep hill and the only way to reach the top
is to climb the 1500 concrete steps, which also gives you the access to witness
some of the most breath-taking views of the entire village, nearby valley and
the sea on the other end. On one end you could see the vast valley and the
forest covers till the very end of the horizon, on another you could see trails
of small villages, the pale sea bordering the clear skies along with lush green
paddy fields.
We took almost 40 minutes to reach the top and I was exhausted by
then however one look at the panoramic view and all my fatigue were replaced
with bliss, happiness and deep sense of relaxation. We sat at the view point
for almost 15-20 minutes, just soaking in the beauty and simply talking to each
other. Getting down was pretty fun. I was stepping and skipping stairs and by
the time we came down, a few local women had set up small stalls selling
flowers and tea. We savored tea and came back to our hotel to freshen up.
In the following evening we decided to stop at another
remarkable temple on our way to Paradise beach again. The Sri Rameshwar Mandir
caught our attention as it oozed with the typical Maharashtrian style
architecture with a large pond surrounding the main entrance. As we went inside
the priest told us that the style of architecture is very common in Maharashtra
and is called the Hemadpanthi style, popularized by small scale, built without
any binding between the stones which have been cut to specific shape, uses
locally found stones, A pillared Nandi mantapa, at the centre and Mandapa
having balustrade entrances on three sides, held aloft by four ornamented
pillars. True to its external beauty, we were fascinated with the ornamentally
designed interiors of the temple as well. The temple is 275 years old and looks
every bit regal and beautiful the priest told us. We sat there, clicking
pictures and soaking in our rich yet forgotten cultural heritage before walking
towards the beach.
The last evening at Chaul was full of ethnic fish curry, lal
math ki sabzi, nachni bhakri and dal rice with traditional steamed modaks for dessert.
Little did I know when I started for Chaul that I’d encounter such serenity and
beauty along with peace.
As we were walking up
the steep hill path, in absolute peace and silence, holding hands, the lights
of our hotel twinkling like stars, I looked at everything around and beside me
and remembered these lines by Martin Buber – “All journeys have secret
destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”
Ways to Reach Chaul :
Ferry from Gateway to Mandwa port
Tuk-Tuk, Auto, Bus ride to Chaul Village
What to eat:
Try Local Maharashtrian Fish Thali at Nivaant
Best time to Visit
October to April





This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWell written Shruti,good job.
ReplyDelete